Friday, October 21, 2011

Haruki Murakami

I guess we have a common feeling against the system. George Orwell is half journalist, half fiction writer. I’m 100 percent fiction writer. . . . I don’t want to write messages. I want to write good stories. I think of myself as a political person, but I don’t state my political messages to anybody.

I am 99 percent a fiction writer and 1 percent a citizen. As a citizen I have things to say, and when I have to do it, I do it clearly. At that point, nobody said no against nuclear-­power plants. So I think I should do it. It’s my responsibility.

I don’t think people think of America as a model anymore. We don’t have any model at this moment. We have to establish the new model.

3 comments:

  1. "The Fierce Imagination of Haruki Murakami" by Sam Anderson

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/magazine/the-fierce-imagination-of-haruki-murakami.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concentration is one of the happiest things in my life. If you cannot concentrate, you are not so happy. I’m not a fast thinker, but once I am interested in something, I am doing it for many years. I don’t get bored. I’m kind of a big kettle. It takes time to get boiled, but then I’m always hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Little People came suddenly. I don’t know who they are. I don’t know what it means. I was a prisoner of the story. I had no choice. They came, and I described it. That is my work.

    ReplyDelete