Sunday, October 17, 2010

Claire Cain Miller

  The other day, Facebook suggested that I make a new friend: myself.

  It’s a little odd to see your own photo in the “people you may know” box, but I have two Facebook profiles, for work (Claire Cain Miller), and for my personal life (Claire Miller Cain).

  Having two accounts allows my friends to see my wedding pictures but not the pitches I get from publicists, and my boss to see links to articles I find interesting but not the photos my friend posted after our vacation in Mexico.

  That need to put up a digital wall between work and life is an obvious reason that Facebook recently introduced an easier way to make posts and photos visible only to certain groups. Concern about privacy was one of Facebook’s motivations, but it was also reflecting the way we live our lives offline.

1 comment:

  1. "The Many Faces of You" by Claire Cain Miller (The New York Times)

    Claire Cain Miller is the author of "Dell Says It Has Earned $3 Million From Twitter" (another New York Times article)

    ReplyDelete