Monday, October 25, 2010

Georgia O'Keeffe

I would rather have Stieglitz like something - anything I had done - than anyone else I know.

I know now that most people are so closely concerned with themselves that they are not aware of their own individuality...

I often lay on that bench looking up into the tree, past the trunk and up into the branches. It was particularly fine at night with the stars above the tree.

... that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down.

One can't paint New York as it is, but rather as it is felt.

1 comment:

  1. Alfred Stieglitz had started photographing Georgia O'Keeffe when she visited him in New York to see her 1917 exhibition. He continued making photographs of her, taking more than 300 portraits between 1918 and 1937. Most of the more erotic poses were from the first few years of their marriage. In February 1921, forty-five of Stieglitz's photographs, including many of O'Keeffe and some in the nude, were exhibited in a retrospective exhibition at the Anderson Galleries. The photographs of O'Keeffe created a public sensation.

    ReplyDelete