Monday, August 29, 2011

Walt Whitman

The past and present wilt--I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.

Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab.

Who has done his day's work? who will soonest be through with his supper?
Who wishes to walk with me?

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too late?

3 comments:

  1. "Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman

    51

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.daypoems.net/poems/1900.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. like the ending better
    ...
    I bequeath myself to the dirt, to grow from the grass I love;
    If you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles
    You will hardly know who I am, or what I mean;
    But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
    And filter and fibre your blood.
    Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged;
    Missing me one place, search another;
    I stop somewhere, waiting for you.
    Among the men and women the multitude,
    I perceive one picking me out by secret and divine signs,
    Acknowledging none else, not parent, wife, husband, brother, child, any nearer than I am,
    Some are baffled, but that one is not--that one knows me.
    Ah lover and perfect equal,
    I meant that you should discover me so by faint indirections,
    And I when I meet you mean to discover you by the like in you.
    "AMONG THE MULTITUDE" by Walt Whitman

    ReplyDelete