Friday, November 11, 2011

David Batstone

I read in a local paper that one of my favorite Indian restaurants in the Bay Area had been trafficking women from India to wash dishes, cook meals and other tasks. The story came out when a young woman, Chianti Pratipatta died of a gas leak in an unventilated apartment owned by the proprietor of the restaurant, who forced Chianti and others into slavery under threat of reporting their illegal presence to the authorities.
This was happening in my country at a restaurant I frequented. My shock turned into a consuming passion that took me around the world to learn more about how slavery flourishes in the shadows.
I also learned about the solutions. I met heroes. Modern-day abolitionists fighting trafficking and slavery on the front lines. And I knew I had to do something. The Not for Sale Campaign combines technology, intellectual capital, abolitionist groups and a growing network of individuals like yourself – joined together to end slavery in our lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Not For Sale
    http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around the world people have taken notice: the breath of freedom is uniting people. No longer can we stand by as 30 million people are enslaved.

    It is no longer enough to think about change.
    It is no longer enough to talk about change.
    It is time to shift gears — marrying movement with intelligent action.

    Our collective challenge is simple: Stand with those who are enslaved, work together to free them, and empower them in their freedom to break the cycle of vulnerability.

    What we are combating is wide-ranging, deeply embedded, and largely invisible (how else could it exist in our own backyards?). A holistic, all-encompassing response is in order. Igniting and aiding this comprehensive response is the Not For Sale Campaign’s purpose.

    The Not For Sale Campaign bridges knowledge to action.

    ReplyDelete